Department of Public Prosecution
The Department of Public Prosecutions is one of the Departments in the Ekiti State Ministry of Justiceandthe machinery through which the Attorney General of the State exercises the prosecutorial and allied powers, vested in him by section 211ofthe Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended.
The Department performs the following functions as a key role-player in the administration of criminal justice and effective execution of Government’s policy on crime:
- Rendering of legal advisory services to the Police, the State Security Services Department etc on criminal investigations and Prosecutions.
- Rendering of legal advice to Government Ministries, Agencies and Departments on crime-related issues and concerns.
- Monitoring and Supervision of Prosecutions by the Police and other prosecuting agencies in the Magistrate Courts.
- Preparation and filing of criminal Court processes to facilitate commencement of trial of offenders by the Courts.
- Prosecution of criminal cases in the High Courts and Magistrate Courts.
- Prosecution of Criminal Appeals in the High Courts, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Collation and utilization of crime-related data for the effective implementation and execution of Government’s policy on crime.
The Department of Public Prosecutions, Ekiti State is to provide the Government and the people of Ekiti State, professional and effective prosecutorial services with the highest standard of integrity, probity and accountability, as a key-stakeholder in the administration of criminal justice.
The current personnel of the Department of Public Prosecutions servicing the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal, Ado, the eight (8) Judicial Divisions of the Ekiti State High Court and its twenty-two Magisterial Districts are as follows:
- A.O. Familoni – Director
- O.P. Alabi – Deputy Director
- H.A. Adeyemi – Assistant Chief Legal Officer
- A.T. Abon – Legal Officer
- F.O. Awoniyi – Legal Officer
- A.O. Onipede – Legal Officer
- A.E. Arogundade – Legal Officer
- O.O. Fasote – Legal Officer
- O.H. Akintayo (Mrs) – Legal Officer
- O.E. Atofarati (Mrs) – Legal Officer
- D.O. Oyewole (Mrs) – Legal Officer
- T. Bade-Gboyega – Legal Officer
The Department of Public Prosecutions, Ekiti State has three Units with clearly defined areas of responsibility namely: Legal advice, Liaison and Litigation.