1) The Ministry of Justice, Ekiti State as part of the ongoing efforts to decongest the Ado-Ekiti Correctional Centre has commenced the first Ministry of Justice Plea Bargain Process.
2) This initiative is in accordance with the provisions of Sections 75 & 76 of the Ekiti State Administration of Criminal Justice Law, 2014.
3) Pursuant to the powers conferred on me by Section 211 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and Section 70 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Ekiti State, 2014.
I hereby invite interested Legal Practitioners representing Defendants in criminal matters before the High Courts and Magistrate Courts in Ekiti State to submit requests for Plea Bargain.
4) The objective of this process is to enable the State and defendants awaiting trial agree on a framework for speedy conclusion of trials.
5) Information on the format and content of the Ministry of Justice Plea Bargain Requests can be obtained from:
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP)
Ministry of Justice,
Phase III, State Secretariat,
Deadline for submission of applications is Friday 31st May 2020.
Honorable Attorney-General & Commissioner for Justice,